Tummy issues have meant that I’ve needed to cut out milk. A real bummer for a chocaholic like me! Enter the ultimate Vegan chocolate cake. I’d love to take all the credits for this amazing bake, but we all know I’m as good at baking as Bambi is on ice! This gorgeous recipe comes from Louise Palmer Masterton of Stem & Glory
This is a really simple and delicious large cake that can be served in many different ways. You could make a large rectangular cake with a layer of ganache on top. You could also make a double layer round cake with buttercream inside and ganache on top. We have made it into a vegan black forest gateau, and it’s the perfect cake for a kids’ party.
For the main body of the vegan chocolate cake you will need:
3 cups self-raising flour
2 cups sugar (I use soft dark brown)
1 ⅔ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 cups of water
1 cup oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
4 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache you will need:
1 bar dark chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
⅓ cup soya/oat cream
3 cups (ish) Icing sugar
For the cake simply:
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix the wet in another bowl
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together (do not over mix)
- Pour the mixture into a large greased and lined baking tin.
- Bake 30-45 mins at 180c. The middle of the cake should be firm to touch, and a knife should come out clean when inserted gently into the middle of the cake. One large cake will take longer than two small ones.
To make you ganache:
- Melt the chocolate, and oil and soya/oat cream together.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit until you have a thick, but just about pourable, consistency.
- Then spread over the cake quickly before it sets!
Meet The Baker
Louise is founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory; hip and trendy but accessible plant-based restaurants, serving delicious gourmet vegan food from locally sourced ingredients. Stem & Glory also offers click-and-collect and local delivery in London and Cambridge. In addition, Stem & Glory offers a range of ready meals, finish at home pizzas, and recipe kits available for delivery across the UK. www.stemandglory.uk www.stemandglory.uk
For more on Louise and recipes like this divine vegan chocolate cake, why not head over to Instagram or Twitter and follow the handle @stemandglory